View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Yes. Over the years there have been many approaches to trying to grow plants outside of their ideal environments.
As a high schooler, I worked many an early morning tending smudge pots (orchard heaters) in the citrus and avocado groves in the San Gabriel Valley. The view of hundreds of the flaming pots always made think of what a Roman Legion must have looked like.
That messy and smog-causing technique was replaced in many places by wind machines used to circulate warmer air with the colder that settled in low places. These were of different designs, but the most common were old airplane engines, props and all, atop towers. Their sound replaced the legions with thoughts of air raids in WWII movies.
Most recently in areas where grapes and other crops are at or beyond the edge of the right weather conditions, sprinklers are used to prevent freezing of the newly emerged buds and leaves.
Two years ago the drought that ended (was interrupted?) last year made enough water unavailable to protect the grapes with sprinkling and portable wind machines were brought into the Anderson Valley, and sleep was the victim for weeks
Agricultural companies proved to have the clout to make their profits paramount.
I have enjoyed wine for 60 years and worked in the industry on and off for 30so I am of a divided mind on its proliferation.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote