View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #35
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

'Tis Remembrance Sunday today in the UK.
Two minutes silence at 11.00, although it will be repeated on the 11th, which is officially Remembrance Day. The closest Sunday is always used for the ceremony, which would otherwise bring London to a standstill. The Queen and her family, the politicians and representatives of the Commonwealth all lay wreaths. Then there is the march past of servicemen and women and civilians representing certain groups (charities who work with the armed forces etc).

Watched it all and cried. Even more poignant this year because of the many deaths in Afghanistan. Some widows and children walked in lieu of those who died in action, wearing the medals of the deceased. Of course it's invitation only (9000 people file past the Cenotaph) but it's still hard to see the occasional kid.

I'm not into this "people who serve are heroes" idea. People who serve are brave, but they are normal people. But then I watch something like this and that bravery means so much more to me. And beyond that I am reminded that service people deserve respect and gratitude.

Mum has agreed we'll make up a shoebox this year. Can't be as much as last yeat (when I was still working) but someone serving will get something from us.

I'm asking again re Big Sarge. Anyone with contact details, can you let me know? I'll send you MY details to pass on to him if you prefer, so you know I'm not a stalker. He gave me his address & email and I lost them. And I feel rotten because I promised to keep in touch. I just want him to have (another) friendly contact from here.