View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Re: 1/6: FDR "Four Freedoms" on this day in 1941

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
Thank you for sharing Roosevelt Minor's 1941 State of the Union address, in which he called for massive increases in military spending. That was your point, wasn't it?
I too have been waiting to learn the point of the topmost post. Having not heard any response, the one thing that yells out at me - two different presidential speeches. The 1940 speech was concise, explicit, to the point, and extremely clear (especially the four freedoms). The George Jr speech meandered, was vague, was many times longer, defined some key points but the rest of the speech had little attachement to those key points.

IOW FDR's speech - beautiful. George Jr's speech - what really did he want to say? If the WTC/ Pentagon disaster was akin to Pearl Harbor, then a President's speech should have targeted those objectives in laser like precision. FDR's 'Day of Infamy' speech did just that. The cited George Jr speech, weeks later, is still and unfortunately without backbone in a time when speeches are expected to be firm and explicit.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote