View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #7068
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I know, I felt my stomach sink slightly as I was watching the news. Felt like watching the Brixton riots way back when Ghost Town was a hit.

Animals are smart enough not to shit where they eat, and so are humans, but crowds aren't just collections of individuals. The way a crowd responds is different to the way any of the individuals making it up respond.

There's clearly a lot of ill-feeling around this. Friends, family and neighbours are adamant that the man who was shot and kiled was not armed, and would not have shot at anybody. Yes he was a bit of a rogue, but not a violent man, according to those who knew him. They are angry at how the police have responded, and let's face it, wuold you really trust the police to review such a shooting fairly? I mean, ffs look at the Menenez shooting.

Horrible to see though. And really horrible to see the ones who just went on a mad looting and destruction spree.

I am always slightly dubious when I hear about an initially peaceful demonstration turning ugly. How many times have we been told that all was well until the black flag waving anarchists kicked off, only to find out later, that what started the violence was police kettling tactics?

I have been present at two major London protest marches in my life, and on both occasions they turned into a riot. On both occasions it was the bloody police who started it. On both occasions it was reported as trhe protestors turning ugly, and in each case it was later determined that the police had acted with calculated and needless aggression (in the Poll tax demo going so far as to remove their numbers from their epaulettes) and in doing so turned a peaceful crowd into a riotous mob.

Not saying this happened in Tottenham. But am definately dubious about what sparked this. I've seen first hand how the bastards use those dogs, horses and riot police when faced with protestors.

Last edited by DanaC; 08-07-2011 at 06:00 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote