View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #183
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

HM woke me up today. This has happened before in a similar way.
I'm going to have to say something about it.

Everyone grows up with some of their parents' issues (a la Larkin) and mine is that I think it is selfish, unreasonable and disrespectful to wake up someone when they are sleeping. To decide on their behalf - in this case without knowing the circumstances - that it is now okay to make a racket, especially when said person has two jobs, one day off a week and has tiptioed around for 6 months because of different sleep patterns... Can you see that I'm wound up?

I'd probably try to swallow it, but we've had a couple fo HUGE rows where I have done something that to me was fairly minor and he has reacted as if I was breaking every social rule and norm and was utterly selfish and wrong. I'm not doing this as revenge, but in view of his reaction I feel I am justified in trying to establish my personal views on him.

The actual situation was nothing dramatic - he got a call at 11.30 which obviously woke him up. I had been reading & dozing, and had my earplugs out because sometimes the cats make a racket and I lure them back to bed. After his call - during which I just lay there, not having properly woken - he put his radio on full blast. Bye-bye any chance of drifting back off.

I know it sounds SO lazy. But it's more the principle.
I could racket round the house every morning getting ready for work - and again when I come back from work at the pub and wake the bugger up. But why would I? He'll be up early enough/ late enough when he's working again - it's no skin off my nose to be quiet in the mornings or after midnight. I just don't like the idea he thought, "Well it's gone 11.30. I can do what I want."

It's symptomatic of various things he does where I approach it with him in mind (ie if he's in bed when I get home I keep quiet or if there's toothbrush confusion as recently I check with him - he just threw mine away because he decided it wasn't being used). And yet I still get told off for being selfish sometimes. I need to learn to speak up when I am unhappy.

Oh dear - I was so clear on this when I was woken up. I was so convinced I was in the right. Typing this I sound like a lazy slacker with an axe to grind.

How irritating.