View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #2204
glatt

My son lately has been playing old music and the mmm mmm mmm song by Crash Test Dummies is one of the ones in the rotation. You remember the one.

Back in the mid 90s, my wife and I saw Crash Test Dummies at the original 9:30 club. Small, cramped place, but a lot of fun. Anyway, the Crash Test Dummies guy told us the story of the "mmm mmm mmm mmm, mmm mmm mmm mmm" lyrics. If you listen to the song, it just a bunch of depressing anecdotes. A boy whose hair turns white, a girl with lots of birthmarks forced to change in front of everyone in the locker room, etc. Everywhere you hear "mmm mmm mmm mmm, mmm mmm mmm mmm," it was supposed to be "fuckin' shitty, fuckin' shitty."

So my wife was telling the kids about it at dinner tonight, and maybe 10 minutes later there was some slightly depressing topic that came up, like the kids had a big mess to clean up in the kitchen, and I hummed "mmm mmm mmm mmm, mmm mmm mmm mmm." Everyone laughed, and now we have a shorthand that I think is going to catch on for stuff like that. We'll see.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote