View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Have you thought of just playing with the wood and the tools? How much of a complete lesson from tree to table are you trying to give here? I had the most fun handing tools to my Dad as he did all the actual work on the car, and I've grown to have a love of working on cars, and some skill. Of course the real wild card in this scenario is the attention and devotion to the task of the kid. If they're having fun, or even just quiet enjoyment then I would say you're sharing success. What is the kid's expectation?

I think there's a real risk of having it turn out poorly and having the final product failure be the part that was remembered. I say this because a bow, a serious bow is hard to do very well. It may be reasonably easy to make a functional arrow flinger... What level of craftsmanship are you seeking? I have seen lots of whittling and noodling around with knives and sticks, and the pleasure of working like this is long lasting. But no serious project was created, not by one so young.

I think this is an awesome project, and I'd love to participate, maybe I can just audit the class, and only come to the labs?

Good luck, please keep us posted.