Thread: Camping
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #25
glatt

I don't disagree with anyone here.

The problem is that you can spend a ton of money before you even find out if you like it. And even people who do a lot of camping are often reevaluating the gear they use. The opportunities to spend money never go away.

The absolute best thing to do is to go camping with somebody who already has all the gear so you don't have to spend anything. I know you said that's not really an option. Keep looking for group events. If you aren't planning on anything until next fall, you have lots of time. why wait though? Spring camping is fun too, and you don't have to commit to a week long adventure or anything. Just go out on a Saturday morning and come back on Sunday.

If you really decide you want to buy a bunch of gear, come back and talk about each item. So much of this is specific to what you want to do and also your style. Camping choices are just as personal as everything else in life. It's actually fun to go to a big crowded campground and walk around to see how everyone has their site set up.

I'm not such a fan of buying disposable junk gear to get started and then buying the more expensive good stuff after a while. You can find good stuff for a moderate price and use it for years if you shop around and ask for advice about specific items here.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote