View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #77
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

thread resurrection.

Twil and I went to that trivia contest the other night, y'all helped with our team name--thanks!! It was held in a local pub/tavern. They had a tiny kitchen and the daily special was tacos. What goes better with fish tacos than margaritas? Nothing, right. So, when I placed my order for the tacos, I also got a couple margaritas. I watched the bartender make the margaritas right in front of me.

These were not the basic mix/tequila/triple sec/ice-3/2/1/fill'er up margaritas. He took a pint glass, added several lime wedges and a couple lemon wedge/slices from his bar pantry (I'm sure there's a name for that little lidded container of fruit garnishes but I don't know it), added a bit of granulated sugar, and about half a glass of ice and then mashed the hell out of it with his muddler. Then he took his lime/lemon "mix" and strained it into a different glass, added ice, tequila, and triple sec. He stirred it and then took one of the hollow stirrers and plunged it into the drink, capped the top with his finger then put the tiny straw into his mouth and tasted his work. Nom nom. He tossed the straw in the trash and then gave me the drinks. I was impressed.

It was a very good margarita and it really activated my DIY itch. So when we were at Trader Joe's last night, I got a bag of lemons, a bag of limes, we got a bottle of tequila (BD rolls her eyes and teases me about the fact that I have a fondness for Sauza, the bottom shelf agave product, what-evah) from the local liquor store and today I made a batch.

I used four limes and two lemons with some sugar and ice in a strong container (some kind of canister I think) and I beat the hell out it with the handle of a big knife (no muddler here) and put the result in a plastic bottle in the freezer. I've made enough mix for three strong and cold margaritas, rocks.

While they are delicious, I think they're a potential threat to my peak performance as Twil's finish carpenter. I'm adding the baseboards to the kitchen remodel we started a hundred years ago. Tequila and compound miter saws should not be enjoyed at the same time, right? My pile of unusably small scraps is itself small, but growing.

good news: I can still count to ten without removing my shoes.

bad news: there's just y'all to be sociable with.