Thread: Avatar in IMAX
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #81
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I’m not trying to be non-conformist, I simply don’t think I can enjoy the movie when the act of watching it has been forced to be an analysis of what I am seeing on the screen versus the expectations created by an unrelenting, overly specific media campaign.
FWIW, not only did the media hype *not* influence me (I would have gone to see a movie by Cameron with this subject matter in any event - I like his work), I would go so far as to say that the trailers, in particular, did not even remotely convey the depth and immersive character of the world that was created.

I had no high expectations for this film, and as a result, became more and more awed and appreciative as the film wore on.

Flint, the media hype is there whether you see the film or not. As with many things, the only way to truly know how you will end up feeling about something is to experience it as it was meant to be experienced. I'm very, very cynical about film in particular as an art form, and for me, this was very nearly the best pure movie entertainment experience I've had.