View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... Maybe they felt they could be sloppy because it was just training, but I wondered if they could do it right if they had to.
No. There's an old saying: Practice makes perfect. That's long been considered obsolete by professional trainers who've found that people will make the same mistakes they made in training when put in a real situation. Professional trainers have their own saying: Perfect practice makes perfect. Unfortunately, it costs too much in man-hours, even when equipment and supplies are available, to keep people at that level of proficiency.

The federal government earmarks funds for that level of sustainment training with most of it going to the military and some going to civilian special response teams. The government's strategy for the civilian population is to maintain just enough proficient people to contain a few small pockets of a high mortality disease. After disease spread exceeds the threshold of their capability, remaining infected civilians will be transferred to treatment colonies run by the military.

The expertise in this area lies within the military. The methods of instruction I used and protocols I taught in the Special Operations medical community exceeds the standards the CDC has. Theirs lack critical performance measures. Even those among them that know this; however, dare not say anything to the public for fear of retaliation by bureaucrats ... they like having their jobs. They also know that in civilian health care 85% of physicians and 95% of nurses routinely working in isolation environments for more than a month will become complacent and make crucial mistakes; yet, they won't rotate other staff into those positions because of training costs.

@glatt - There's at least one thing worse than a hospital that won't accept Ebola patients: that's a hospital that does and allows the disease to spread.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote