View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #2087
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I'll see your Buddy Guy and raise you some Luther Allison.

@Flint, if you please, can you tell what's going on with that cymbal sound that mutes so abruptly at about 6:37 to 6:50? I like it.
This is a HOT track, got me up and pacing around my room. That piano sitting on the 8th notes perfectly underscores how straight the time feel is.

So.. the drummer is drummer Andrew Smith (notably from the Detroit roster of the the Funk Brothers session players collective)..
at 6:10 he just drops the hi-hat out completely, which is a really cool, sparse sound (think Ringo on the Beatles, Something), then..
at 6:37 through 6:50 he's hitting hi-hat "barks" on the 2nd note of every other triplet--
one TWO three, one two three, one TWO three, one two three
this is an unusual place for an accent, and coupled with *no other cymbal part* it really jumps out!
at 7:53 he starts hitting the hi-hat accent on the ONE of the triplets, but there's more going on and it isn't as unexpected

a hi-hat bark is basically hitting an open hi-hat (cymbals allowed to ring out) and then quickly stomping the pedal to completely mute the sound.
Smith's hi-hat barks here are a little *longer* than the usual quick, "funky" accent, so they carry more weight

that next track, Boogie Chillen with Hooker/Canned Heat is one I've played out at gigs before.
musician friend of mine is hero-obsessed with the harp player from Canned Heat
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote