View Single Post
Old 09-18-2001, 02:15 PM   #3
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp
One of the higher-ups at Clear Channel (the megacorp with a stranglehold on a large percentage of America's radio stations) whipped up a list of songs that are "inappropriate" for this situation and are being pulled from radio playlists nationwide. The list is interestingly idiosyncratic; along with the usual suspects like Black Sabbath, AC/DC and Judas Priest, dozens of completely inoffensive songs are blacklisted simply because they contain a word, a phrase or an association with some "disturbing" concept.
Funny thing is that I saw that list on f**kedcompany.com and was curious enough abou why some of them were banned that I immediately went out and started trying to download some of them to see if I could find a reason.

With some, it is quite obvious, but others seem to be omitted just because they are "tear-jerkers" about death ("Dead Man's Curve" and "Last Kiss", both of which deal with car crashes, immediatly jumped out at me).

I suppose that we, as a society, are supposed to AVOID having songs bring out our sorrow of death and loss? Any pshrink'll tell you that that is one of the WORST ways to deal with pain. Sweeping it under the rug seldom helps.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote