Thread: Cellar Dreamin'
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #229
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Last night, Ali sent me a care package.
It was supposed to be something mundane - a DVD or a book or something. But as I was unpacking what became a large box there were all sorts of lovely treats in there.

I was living at my parents' house again, and I knew Mum would be so impressed with the beautiful cake (or a cake-stand natch) which I put on the side in the kitchen.

Bruce had delivered it, it turned out. In fact he's brought it all the way himself, because there was a piece of technology in there which was only currently available in Australia, and he and Ali had agreed it was best not to trust the vagaries of Customs (which it turns out Bruce can breeze through in person).

It was a solar battery, which looked like a glass ornament. I seemed to be back in my flat then (albeit a clean and empty one) and said to Bruce, "Well... I suppose I can put it on the windowsill? She probably doesn't realise how little sun we get here..."
I saw from his face that he was quite disappointed in my reaction. Not hurt, just sad that he and Ali had gone to so much trouble, and been so thoughtful, and the first thing I did was look for problems.
So I yapped on and on about how grateful I was, until I saw that was sickening too.

I didn't wake up too guilty though. Although I missed my cake.