View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Yes, but not easily. True BBQ requires temps ~ 225 to 275. That's a fair amount of work to do in a Weber grill.

Having said that, I did BBQ ribs in my weber for years before I bought a smoker.

Here's the gist:
  • Buy some baby-back ribs. These are the easiest to learn on.
  • Look in a book like "Smoke and Spice" for recipes for rib rubs. Prepare the ribs for BBQ.
  • Build a small fire on one side of the weber.
  • Add a couple of lumps of hickory or other smoking wood. DO NOT USE SOFT WOODS!!!
  • Put a water pan on the other side.
  • Put the grill back in the weber.
  • Put the ribs in a rib rack over the water pan.
  • Put the lid on with the vent over the ribs..
  • Stand a candy thermometer in one of the lid vent holes.
  • Start with all vents completely open.
  • After 15-30 minutes close bottom vents as needed to keep temps in BBQ range.
  • Try to remove the lid as little as possible.
  • On the other hand you have to add charcoal and wood from time to time to keep the temp.

If you have any taste buds at all, once you've done your own BBQ, you will become a BBQ snob. Very few BBQ places do as good a job as you can do at home.

BBQ is much easier to do in a decent smoker. I really like the Weber Smokey Mountain for convenience, but there are a number of other options out there. I recommend you avoid the cheepie $39-100 water smokers. They take as much work as the weber grill.

Building your own is non-trivial as you need to have a separate firebox and smoke chamber. There's one description here. You can find others by googling "brick smoker".

Last edited by dar512; 06-30-2005 at 09:12 AM.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote