View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Where when one type of network traffic is prioritized, how slow is the remaining traffic?

I don't want to be annoying about this, asking leading technical questions, but here we are 20ms to most of the Internet and that is pretty amazing. In order to make any prioritizing service something I would pay for, you would have to slow down my Internet. I don't think you can actually do that, unless you are bad at running a network, or intent on providing poor service.

Intent on providing poor service was tw's original bogus argument in 2006. We see how that has worked out: VoIP is now the predominant way phone calls are made and nobody has blocked or slowed *anything*.

And why would they? Around here, salespeople get $300 bonuses for signing people up for Comcast or Verizon so there is ZERO incentive to provide shitty service for traffic in bits. And it costs them money to engage engineering services to slow or block traffic.

The first thing I remember the net broadly calling a "Net Neutrality violation" was when T-Mobile announced they wouldn't count music services against your bandwidth limits. People were quick to call foul, although it is a carrier telling you that you can have free services (I thought you always had to pay MORE? WTF) and it has nothing to do with prioritizing (which was the original technical definition).
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote