Thread: DIY Deck
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #53
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

How will I keep those friction fit blocks in place? I'll surround them with a bed of this.
Name:  173-IMG_20180810_071141.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  561.5 KB

I figure I'll fill the frames with gravel, locking EVERYTHING in place. I'll screed it level and it will lend even more support between the supporting frame members. There are no pictures of this because my truck still has this first load of gravel in the bed.

Why is it still in the bed? Because I'm not done overengineering this frame. I thought, what will keep the gravel from leaking out under the edges of the frame? Luck? My good looks? Hahahahahaa! Um, no. This hardware cloth will though. Just enough to pin the bottom to the concrete and a couple staples into the wood, that the weight and jaggedness of the gravel will lock itself in place.
Name:  174-IMG_20180903_111840.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  564.3 KB

I then noticed that the blocks on the edge of the frame would not have the benefit of being surrounded by gravel. What would keep them in place. I felt the vertical movement would be secured by gravity, and they're definitely not going to move inward toward the gravel, but out toward the yard? Yeah, that could happen. I was going to put a little steel strap on it just to tack it in place, but then Twil saved the day by suggesting that the skirt/frame around the edge of the deckboards be wider so as to cover the deckboards, all of that 2x4, and the top section of the blocks on the border of the frame. EXCELLENT suggestion!
Name:  175-IMG_20180903_111852.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  585.5 KB