View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, single home. Here in the US as the suburbs built up the mostly agricultural land got gradually nibbled away as heirs divided and sold grampa's farm. Then only large pieces were left, with prices are far beyond what most can afford. Enter developers with big bucks who buy grampa's farm and put up a shitload of houses made out of ticky tacky and all look just the same. In order to placate buyers that they will continue to all look just the same and I won't buy the place next door with my lottery winnings and turn it into something to degrade your property value, the deeds are written so you submit to the whims of an HOA.

HOA members are all the property owners and elect the board who write and enforce the rules. Because elected means politics, egos, and power struggles, it's a bunch of assholes with a lot of power "protecting your interests". They tell you what color you can paint your front door, you can't have a clothesline, your swing set must be wood, what size flag you can fly on holidays, how high your grass can be, what kind of vehicle you can park in your driveway, and on and on and on.

Some people love it, I would rather sleep in the Greyhound station than live there.