View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
glatt

On our recent trip to Britain, I got to drive this BMW diesel hatchback for three days.
Name:  BMW.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  143.7 KB

I was very conflicted about it. At times I absolutely loved it, and at times I hated it like I've hated no other car.

The good:
Lots of power, very sporty, fantastic fuel economy (Averaged 37 MPG) I loved this car.

The bad:
The turn signal thought it was too smart for me and would turn off when I didn't want it to yet, and would be too willing to turn on when I didn't want it too. Plus it was right next to the cruise control lever, so in stressful driving conditions, I found myself tying to signal with the cruise control lever. There are no conditions in Britain where you would want a cruise control. It's not Nevada.

It also had the proximity sensors that would beep at you when you got too close to things. This is Britain, where everything is very close. Every time I parked the car, I was greeted with a blaring cacophony of alarms. For example, it thought I was far too close to that wall above. Very annoying. Especially when you are threading the needle and you are aware of the hedge on one side and the car on the other, but don't know if the car is warning you that there is some other unseen obstruction.

There was no position I could find adjusting the steering wheel where I was able to see the speedometer without tilting my head sideways. The speed limit fluctuates dramatically on the M25, and they have speed cameras, so knowing your speed is extremely important. I got tired of constantly cocking my head to the side, and since I was in a zippy sports car, I kept going faster than it felt like I was going.

But still, it was a fun to drive car with ample power for maneuvering through traffic and getting me out of sticky situations on roundabouts, etc.

Oh, and shifting with my left hand was a trip. And until I was used to the play of the clutch compared to my car at home, I stalled it half a dozen times. But the push button start started it up immediately.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote