Thread: Archaic words
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I used to have a hardcopy of Thrawn Janet by R L Stevenson. It is deliberately written in the voice of an old Scotsman of the latter 1700s. You want archaic words?
Quote:
Fifty years syne, when Mr. Soulis cam' first into Ba'weary, he was still a young man,--a callant, the folk said,--fu' o' book-learnin' and grand at the exposition, but, as was natural in sae young a man, wi' nae leevin' experience in religion. The younger sort were greatly taken wi' his gifts and his gab; but auld, concerned, serious men and women were moved even to prayer for the young man, whom they took to be a self-deceiver, and the parish that was like to be sae ill supplied. It was before the days o' the Moderates--weary fa' them; but ill things are like guid--they baith come bit by bit, a pickle at a time; and there were folk even then that said the Lord had left the college professors to their ain devices, an' the lads that went to study wi' them wad hae done mair and better sittin' in a peat-bog, like their forebears of the persecution, wi' a Bible under their oxter and a speerit o' prayer in their heart. There was nae doubt, onyway, but that Mr. Soulis had been ower-lang at the college. He was careful and troubled for mony things besides the ae thing needful. He had a feck o' books wi' him--mair than had ever been seen before in a' that presbytery; and a sair wark the carrier had wi' them, for they were a' like to have smoored in the Deil's Hag between this and Kilmackerlie.
I think it is a great story and has a great ending.