View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 01:44 AM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I have one:

Walking through the halls, it occurred to me that when the first part of this building was built, in 1973, they never dreamed that students would one day not carry backpacks, but would wheel them along behind them. So the flooring in that part is tile/grout. You can imagine the noise between classes.
Oh, my dear, you are so young.

In 1973 there were three ways to carry your books.

One was in a big, loose pile.
The other was bound together with a rubber strap that linked together with these bent metal clips on either end, kind of like a bungie cord but flat, and instead of the hook thingies with the points, it was more like a little toggle/buckle deal.

If you were a total loser, you carried a briefcase of some kind, either the traditional hard sided suitcase like variety, with a snap lock in the middle, or one of the top open kind that would balloon out a wee bit with a strap over the top that snapped into a latch on the side. You probably had at least one totally geekish teacher (Latin or Science, usually) in high school that still carried one of these.

Of course, textbooks were a lot smaller then, since you only had to take Readin', Ritin', 'Rithmatic, P.E., and Shop for boys, Home Ec for girls.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote