View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #5868
lookout123
changed his status to single

I should have done a better job of composing my initial post. The dr was not someone we deal with regularly. He is the new guy at our ped's office and i was there on an unrelated matter. His statement was off the cuff and he realized almost immediately he had stepped on his dick. I gave him a summary of our experiences and suggested he do some more reading and open his mind because not everybody is just shopping for a guilt relief diagnosis. I then spoke to the Dr who owns the practice (I've known and respected him for years) about coaching the new guy to develop more tact. I'm not going to fuck up his career by lodging a complaint because I believe he will learn to think before he speaks.

Thanks for the support and suggestions. The issue at hand is not new, just more severe than it has been for some time. We have a regular psychologist who works with LL to develop non-drug coping mechanisms. We have an excellent child psychiatrist who we will be going back to see as soon as possible.

LL is bipolar. About a year ago we finally found a drug that effectively knocks off the abnormal bottom range (depression) of his emotional roller coaster. Normally once that side of things is nailed down a second drug is introduced to deal with the high side (manic) of things. We have held off on that because we obviously don't want to overmedicate a 9 year old and he had been doing very well since february or march. Unfortunately the drugs that deal with the manic issues are nasty little bastards and we've tried to avoid them. Obviously it is time to revisit that decision.