View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #110
memories
Resident-in-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Nobler View Post
So memories I take it you spent some time there to, when was that if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m not sure but I was told that the tunnels all linked up under the town church. And that they were used for the population to get to ‘sanctuary’ if needed? I did have one regular who was a cab driver, (aren’t they always) who told me that when he was a boy the vicar had told him that under the church they had cells that were used by monks at one stage, and that they went of into tunnels. I hate to think what the church got up to in cells if this was true.
I remember the stairs as been very narrow, the ones that went to the loft room were a real pain. This was the domain of the manager’s son. As for the celler’s, yes they were creepy, hardly any light, and with the smell of very old pub celler.
As for anything paranormal, it would be difficult to say, as my whole time there was very strange. I learnt a lot about life there, and a lot about drinking, I lived there a while working as assistant manager, and the manager did not serve coffee with breakfast he served a double Vodka and coke, the day then went on like this, rack up the bar, open the pub, at least 4 doubles over lunch. Close. Sleep till five, another drink, opens at six….. Yes you got it more to drink. Close at 11, the curtains that is. And then carry on drinking until 2 in the morning with any punters that wanted to stay. He was a heavy drinker and expected those around him to do the same.
Oh I can remember one place that used to get me twitchy; there was a door that went of the bathroom into a hay loft that was over the big side gate. I left a lot of my stuff in there, Cine films, projector, records, all kinds of stuff. It was easier that rummaging around in the dark when I left the place.
I will try and find the photo of the bar, I'm sure I still have it somplace.
my mum and dad were landlords thyere in the early to mid sixties. my memories of the place start at around at the age of two/three ( about 1966/67)
i used to love the jukebox on loud and a drink called hubbly bubbly- a lime fizzy drink.
i take after my mum and dont drink but my father was the total opposite . my mum said he always had lock ins which seems to be a bit of a tradition of that pub - very heavy drinkers indeed.
i remember once i had this toy gun and it was so loud and looked so real. i aimed it at the locals and starting fireing it and they all shat them selves... i can imagine the names they were calling me under there breath, lol.
memories is offline   Reply With Quote