Thread: sororitys
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushchocolateswirl View Post
Yes I know Brianna was role playing.

The reason I asked about this was because I've only recently watched 2 documentaries on this American phenomenon.
By the time I finished watching these shows I thought about the comparisons to the black and hispanic gangs. It seems that sororitys are a white up market version of a gang.
Ah, I'm glad you knew I was fooling around, lushchocolate! I usually mean no harm at all and am just a silly person.

I think your assessment of sororities being an up market white girl gang is on the money. In my time they were anyway. There was a sorority in an Indiana college that wanted the chapter closed because the girls weren't cute enough---they didn't explicitly say that, but that is what those sorority girls thought of the closing issue. I just wish I could recall the name of the college...anyway, I fear and am suspicious of sororities. If I meet a girl/woman who identifies herself as such I always wonder what their deal is. Couldn't they get friends on their own and had to join a gang to have built-in friends?

Though, in truth, in high-school I was a selective friend-getter myself. I only wanted to hang out with the people who partied!! Looking back on that, I can see how I cut out a lot of cool people because they weren't "just like me"---you know? It's dumb on both ends.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote