View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
You called it sir, that's the Damascus-Cochecton Bridge.
First time through Skinners Fall was with canoes full of camping gear.

Never used skirts on that river. Yes sometimes we take on water. That is why everything is in canoe packs - never gets wet - except the beer.

Keeping one shirt and towel dry is essential. Because in August, after 4 PM, the sun disappears behind mountains. Then it gets cold.

Same bridges farther downstream have one unique feature. That center concrete pile suffers plenty of ice damage. So many of those bridges downstream have timber or concrete protection pointing up to 10 feet upstream - to protect that badly chipped concrete bridge support.

That Cochecton bridge has no apparent ice damage that is so common downstream. Don't know why. Other than ice dams farther downstream have threatened Port Jervis with serious winter flooding.

Had you not ended in Narrowsburg, I would have confused that bridge with one just north of Ten Mile River. The bridge and downstream waters (rapid and current) look similar.

Just talked to a girl who grew up in Lackawaxen. In those decades, nothing new was built. Only in the past 15 years has there been significant new construction. She wants to go back home just to see what may have changed.

One town that never seemed to change was Shohola PA.

A biggest Walmarts I had seen was in Honesdale PA. A nice day's bike ride up along the Lackawaxen River (that drains Lake Wallenpaupack. Little traffic makes for pleasant riding. But where do they find enough people to shop in that Walmart?

Last edited by tw; 08-13-2019 at 12:44 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote