View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #238
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i wish i'd of taken pictures but today i fixed the honda 4-trax four wheeler we use regularly at work. you see it's like this. a while back, almost 8 months ago the starter switch burned up. actually i think it was longer than that. more like 2 years ago. anyway, it was rigged up where the starter was wired from the battery to the switch to the starter. well that won't work. what happens is this. the switch cannot handle the amperage so it burns up. could be two starts could be 20. never can tell. well for the last 6 weeks or so i have been pushing to wire this up back right. in other words, wire in a relay like it should be. then what happens is this: you push the starter button. the starter button is wired to the coil. the coil energizes then closes the starter contact therefore bypassing the load that was going through the switch. (helllllloooooo! that's the way it came from the factory!) so anyway, i found out today that the relay in the quad is new. ronnie just didn't know how to wire it up so he bypassed it. the thing is a piece of shit but it works and it works well. for whatever reason the original starter button was 86'ed. i opened up the housing and the wires were cut. short. no way to rewire it. not that i saw anyway. not without taking the complete thing apart. so here's what i did. i wired the new switch into the coil. then spliced in the negative to the return wire. then i ran a wire from the hot through the switch and on to the relay coil. for whatever reason, no wiring diagram of the scooter so had to improvise with a volt meter testing continuity, got it to where i could energize the coil. now second problem aroused. the starter positive post is jacked up. took me several tries to make it work. adjusted the nut to get a deeper penetration into the starter. prolly needs a new starter. duct tape and bailing wire be damned. the thing works. will try and take pictures of it tomorrow.