View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 AM   #14
SPUCK
Professor

Quote:
Did the cop knock it down to 10 over
I went back an looked and he knocked it down to 85 from 89....

My second ticket was crazy. We have a train trestle in our town that goes across a river. I drove my pickup across that. It dumps out a couple of blocks away out of a deep cut. As I pulled back off the tracks at a road crossing (easy and bump free) here comes a cop.

"Pull over lets see your license registration etc."

He told me, "I know you've done something wrong but I don't know what."

He popped his trunk and got a briefcase and several tomes. He flipped thru them for about 10 minutes then called someone. Two more cars showed up and they all got briefcases out and had them plastered all over all their trunks and hoods and argued and went back and forth over what they were finding. About an hour and a quarter later the officer came over and said they'd all agreed I'd not broken any motor vehicle codes but that I'd actually committed a misdemeanor. They said its illegal to operate any machine or vehicle within a railroad right-of-way and that the railroad right-of-way is anyplace withing 10 feet of the rails if not otherwise marked.

After all that time I didn't bother to point out that they were parked five feet from the tracks or that thousands of violations were being committed daily at every railroad crossing.

Judge said he was worried I might have run into a train. Tracks are only rated for 15MPH here. I'd told the DA that I knew there were no trains as it only ran once a week on Friday (to a cement plant). Judge gave me three months to pay $150 fine.

It was worth it.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote