View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 03:51 PM   #80
glatt

When I was a teenager, that song always made me feel anxious. Like I was missing out, while everyone else was doing cool stuff. The line about missing the starting gun really hit home back then. But that's because I would always crank it when I was hanging out alone in my room, doing nothing. I actually was missing out when I was listening to it.

Now that I'm in my late 30s (and yes, lumberjim, my 37th birthday was on friday - good guess) it's changed its meaning. I realize I had all the time in the world when I was young. It was a blessing and a curse at the same time. Now, if I never seem to find the time to do anything for me, it's because I have a great wife and couple of wonderful little kids. They take all my time, and I freely give it to them.

So, life's a trade-off. For everything you choose, you are leaving something that you could have had. No surprise there.

This song is very powerful, and I like it for that reason. But it's also an evil song. It sows anxiety, when you should be feeling content and rejoicing in your life, simple as it may be.

Last edited by glatt; 04-13-2004 at 03:55 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote