View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I don't often watch movies these days. TV series have just got so good in recent years that I find them much more interesting. But every so often I get the movie bug. So, I've watched several in the last week or so and have a bunch more I want to watch soon. Here are the highlights.

The World's End: third in The Cornetto Trilogy. Liked it a lot. Very different pace and flavour to Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Kind of bitter sweet. (actually watched this over the new year, but rewatched it last week)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: I avoided this when it first came out. I have very strong memories of the tv serial (as for most of the Smiley stories). Couldn't see how a movie could get across the complexity or depth of the books, the way the tv serial managed to do. But I finally decided it was time and went for it. What an excellent adaptation. Beautifully shot, directed and acted. Gary Oldman now is Smiley for me.

Skyfall: really enjoyed this. I've liked all the Daniel Craig era of Bond. Saw both his previous ones at the cinema, which is a very rare thing for me. The first one I thought was spectacular, the second was ridiculous, but still fun. This was a much more sober and thoughtful outing (though obviously, there was enough overblown nonsense for it to still be Bond!). Fantastic performances from Craig and Judy Dench.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote