View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I was talking about this at lunch with my mom. The thing is, if everyone's data is at risk, then no one's is, you know?

Like, the early cases of identity theft were bad, a real pain in the ass for the victims, mostly because people had never heard of such a thing. You had to really fight to prove that you didn't open that loan in your name. Now, though, it's so commonplace that the assumption is you're NOT you, and you have to work really hard to prove you are, just to get a legitimate loan. My dad won't buy anything online because he's so terrified of the number getting stolen. I keep telling him, I've had my card stolen at least three times in the past 8 years or so. And each time the company called me on suspicious charges, I said no they weren't mine, and a new card was issued. Never was I responsible for any charges I hadn't made, and never did I wait more than 3-5 business days before I had my new card and everything was back to normal.

Yeah, maybe fees and interest rates are higher for us all when companies have to eat those costs. But things cost more when the delivery truck gets robbed by a bunch of guys in masks too. Generally speaking, they can have my data. I ain't skeered.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote