View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #5624
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's $50 to replace this battery. Now you have to understand what the battery is for, because this is part of this. I'm mildly annoyed, so YOU will be mildly annoyed.

In the olden days, the phone company had batteries in their central offices which would provide voltage to your phone. If your phone could ring, it had power coming to it.

But if you have FIOS coming to your house, it's fiber. It's not copper. It doesn't conduct electricity. It only carries data.

Lucky your voice can be converted to data, and it only takes a fraction of a percentage of a high speed FIOS connection to transmit the voice part. So that's what they do now, they do the conversion in a box somewhere in your house.

However this means that your old phones will no longer work, because they don't get power from the central office. The solution: put a battery in your house to provide power to your phones.

Sneakily the phone company puts a 1 year warranty on these batteries and so you will eventually have to pay that $50 for voltage these assholes used to provide gratis.

Now me, I ordered phone service and never used it, so I will cancel my phone service and remove the need for this battery. But I'll bet they won't come out to remove it. No, that would be a service call. It's too much.

I have found a youtube procedure for disconnecting the battery temporarily, and this is supposed to stop the beep for about a month.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote