View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I got a bigger drill and began to enlarge the hole in the ball. This is the same picture from the What is this? thread. I thought it was kind of a neat picture. Notice how the step is square, despite having a pointed drill. Interesting, to me at least. This shot, blurry as it is, also shows how deep the colors are.
Name:  P2050294.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  27.4 KB

When I was done enlarging the hole, I got to take it to a different part of the house where the lighting is different and I took this picture. I thought it came out pretty nice.
Name:  P2050298.jpg
Views: 3253
Size:  28.9 KB

However, I was making this in something of a vacuum. I didn't have access to her vehicle, so I couldn't test fit the new shift knob on the shift lever. It turns out the shaft is 5/8" in diameter. I found out this fact by sneaking into her car, measuring the circumference with some paper, measuring, doing the math, etc. .64". Crap. My biggest twist drill (not a spade bit) is 1/2". So, I had to buy a new tool. This is a mixed blessing. I have a lot of drill bits, just no 5/8" bits. Until now. You know how much one bit costs? That size will run you $17. Yikes.

Also, when I had access to her car, I no longer had access to my drill press. I borrowed her corded variable speed drill and bored it out again just holding the drill and the ball in my hand. "Here, hold my whiskey and watch this" kind of setup. It worked out ok thankfully. I even got to rattle the drill around in the hole making it bigger than 5/8" and roughing up the inside of the hole.

I took the silicone-y rubber-y finger grip-py part off the bottom of a pen and put it over the splined end of the shift lever. No camera at this point, still in stealth maker mode, sorry. This would give my slightly oversize hole something to grab onto.
Name:  IMG_8765.JPG
Views: 2075
Size:  165.6 KB

Then I gave it to her and she was quite tickled. I told her I hoped this would help her think about me as she drove. Many laughs on both sides, and here's what it looks like installed. I am quite happy with the result, a pleased girlfriend and a cool project!