Thread: WTF News
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #229
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I donate to the Dog's Trust. For a very selfish reason. John Barrowman is a patron and often offers personal belongings, or things he has been given (a Day Out Rally Driving, a signed photo, a first edition of his book) as prizes.

But I respect what they do, same way I respect the Celia Hammond Animal Trust; they never put a healthy cat down and have a large country facility for cats that cannot be rehomed (especially ferals). They are into lifelong support. They've had money from me in the past, when I have had it.

I have also given to humans when I could. Save the Children and Help the Aged especially. Children in Need, Sport Relief, Comic Relief every year. Sometimes it's been just making a cake. Sometimes it's just been organising collections, selling raffle tickets, raising awareness. I don't think it has to be either/ or when it comes to animals and humans. I just know of animals helped by various charities and trusts. Whereas when giving to humans it's just... out there. Never met them, never will. I take it on trust.

I used to find that people who refused to give to "foreigners" i.e. starving people abroad "because there are people hungry in this country" actually didn't give to UK causes either. Each to their own - I don't volunteer any more although I have the time to (except the extra hours at school), so I'm not any kind of shining angel.