View Single Post
Old 04-10-2001, 07:43 PM   #9
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

the cap'n

Just for the record, because you don't all enjoy our visual Basic 'experience', the Cap'n is what Mike (Chew) and I call our teacher, who is an excellent programmer, and an intelligent guy, but is flakier than your average pastry. He has a habit of simply giving us a problem, and the resources to learn what we need to to solve it. He does *not* teach. I, Mike, and a few others thrive in this sort of environment; everyone else struggles, and it jades them to the whole concept of programming. Which I guess is why they chose this class as a pre-requisite for C++, to weed out the word processors and other (l)users and only allow those who can develop coding skill carry on to the more complex, but far more powerful, language.

Personally, I think that this is the way programming should be taught, as a career. This is a field where things will(!) change constantly, and you must be willing and able to teach yourself what you need to know in order to get by. Unfortunately, most people are used to the standard regurgitation method of teaching. You know it; teacher tells you soemthing, and you repeat it until you can spit it back out on command. Programming requires a higher level of thought than this, as do the complex mathematics and sciences, and it's important to develop this talent as early as possible.

Now that I've attacked every teacher in the building (thank the gods I'm not posting froms chool right now), I should sign off

--Steve