Thread: Badger Epiphany
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
It has spilled over somewhat into my homelife--how I interact with my children and my wife. I see it as a huge positive--I'm having ideas like drafting a "standards of behavior" for the household, and other corporate-type structures. I think the kids will benefit a lot from having consistent, defined expectations, etc.

But I have to say, just because you're trying to make improvements to behavior and conduct...not everybody immediately appreciates that. I've found that what is 100% acceptable in the workplace, and in fact straight by-the-book, can somehow be "frustrating" to spouses. The thing is, I'm not trying to "trick" anybody--I'm perfectly genuine in my effort. I'm just doing what I think has been proven to be best practices.
The important thing to remember is, the goals for the workplace and the goals for homelife are different, so their best practices are going to be different. At work, optimum efficiency is completely desirable in pretty much every scenario. At home, however, children will not necessarily benefit from an optimally efficient bedtime process, for example. Sometimes an extra hug is needed, for a variety of reasons, and at-home best practices have to account for that difference in priorities. Just one example, there are of course many other daily scenarios to consider and no two will require exactly the same balance of structure versus compassion. I can tell you, though, that as a child I often felt like an employee, and I hated it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote