View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #23
Pie
Gone and done

Imax ain't what it used to be.
Quote:
But most importantly, of course, the screens were only a fraction of the size of a “real” IMAX theater screen. And all were shorter, 1.9-aspect-ratio screens, not the tall 1.44 screens of classic IMAX theaters. And let’s face it, the biggest aspect of the “wow” factor is height. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that even a very wide screen is not nearly as impressive as a one that towers six or eight stories high.

The screen door effect
Using two high-powered digital projectors, the IMAX digital system projects an image that is bright, with good contrast and slightly better resolution than other digital projectors. But every IMAX digital theater I’ve been in has also had a noticeable “screen door effect,” that is, a visible dark grid pattern separating the pixels...
I saw the new ST movie both at a regular screening, and at the new "IMAX Experience" at the Columbia AMC.

I want my extra $5 for the Imax back. What a rip-off.