View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #1434
glatt

I got one of those annoying weather alerts on my phone yesterday evening. flash flood warning.

Within 45 minutes of that text, we had a three person bucket brigade going, trying to keep water from flooding our basement. And maybe an inch got in in places, but for the most part, we beat back the water. This morning, the basement is dry.

I figure at the peak of the brigade, it took 2 seconds to fill each 2.5 gallon bucket up to about the 2 gallon mark. So that's roughly 60 gallons a minute we bailed. And we continued for maybe 20 minutes? I wasn't keeping track of the time. But if that's accurate, we bailed in the ballpark of 1,200 gallons. We kept 1,200 gallons out of our basement.

We have a drain on the landing just outside our basement door, and normally it handles all the rain with ease. But yesterday it was raining HARD as this one cloud went by slowly.

My daughter videoed me before I enlisted both her and her mother to help. We passed buckets up the stairs and dumped them a few feet away where the ground slopes more away from the house.

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote