View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #33
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
But now I have contributed to the global warming problem through my horrible release of many greenhouse gasses.
Consider tweaking your soaking method. I usually add lemon juice to all soaking beans (to break the phytates) but I see here that I'm doing it wrong.

Quote:
How does all this science translate into perfect beans? Soak legumes in plenty of water that has been brought to a simmer and poured over the beans; add about 1/4 cup of something acidic (lemon juice, vingear or whey) to black beans, lentils and fava beans but soak other types of beans (white beans, brown beans and dried peas) in plain water--preferably soft water or water with a pinch of baking soda added. You don't need to worry about having the optimal pH if your diet contains animal foods and if the soaking is followed by a long slow cooking. Use the table below to determine approximate soaking times. For beans that require a long soaking time, you may wish to drain, rinse and add more water at least once during the process.
After soaking, drain the beans and rinse well, then add to a pot with more water and bring to a simmer. If digestibility is a problem for you, kombu added to the pot should take care of any pesky oligosaccharides still lurking. Cook those beans gently until completely tender.
The following recipes will transform the humble legume into a delectable, body-and-soul-satisfying dish of epicurean proportion. And very much worthy of polite society.