Thread: Global warming?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #153
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I think plenty of people are working on changing our habits at a personal level, which will only have the effect of forcing corporate responsibility sooner or later.

In the grand scheme of things, we're making changes at a remarkable rate. Possibly too slowly for some peoples liking, but change in any case. There is a limit to what people can be expected to be responsible for because ultimately, most people owe their loyalty to their family and will do what's best for them. Most people can't afford the green technologies out there, nor can most companies at the moment, but as more people come on board, these things will become more affordable for average people. It's always been the same formula.

New technology = expensive. Not affordable or cost effective
developing technology = less expensive. Affordable only to the wealthy.
developed technology = affordable
old technology = cheap

The issue we're facing now is the the old technology being fossil fuel as an energy source is about to become more expensive therefor forcing us to look to new technology which in turn will bring the price down.

It's just going to take time, and yodelling about it constantly isn't going to make it happen any faster.

Just like climate change, it's a natural progression. Regardless of what anyone believes now, we will be powering up with alternative energy sources before most of us kick the bucket. Well before I should expect.
Ali...I cant speak to the policies and practices in Australia.

I can say that in the US, over the last eight years, there has been a regression, rather than a natural progression, with regard to controlling GHG emissions.

From Bush's ignominiously named "clear skies initiative" which gutted critical provisions of the Clean Air Act regulating power plan emissions....to his EOs that forced many states to take his administration to court on auto emission standards (Bush lost every case in federal court but succeeded in delaying policies he opposed)....to the suppression of scientific studies within the federal government that did not support his ideology.

I can give you examples from Bush's energy policy of the massive tax breaks and incentives given to the oil industry and the pittance given to alternative energy resources.

You can call it yodeling...I call it holding our government accountable.