View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #170
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
As excited as she was, the kid is durable, this didn't break her. I think her fencing helped make her tough like that.
I think being from tough stock helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
There's no way he can understand the underlying concepts that quickly. Pisses me off. This entire subject is a waste of everyone's time. He will learn nothing from it but be in agony the entire time.
He will learn the terms and their definitions, though. There are lots of articles online and in the news which refer to those terms, so he'll have a head start there if he remembers them. But being an electrician will assure he can support you comfortably, in your golden years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I think there are a ton of industries that are missing out on real talent because we're all too focused on pure academics and not the reality of a satisfying (and still intellectually stimulating) career.
Yes, I've been seeing articles about companies not being able hire experienced machine shop people.
My mother had the choice of three high schools; Classical, for college prep; Technical, for business prep, and Trade, to learn a trade.
I had two choices, Trade or Regular. Now the trade schools have disappeared.
The high schools are geared to everybody must go to college or fuck you. Unless you have a connection with somebody to get into a business or trade, you have to settle for managing daddy's portfolio.