View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Well, it seems that the possibility of death by flying mortarboard is only taken seriously on this side of the Atlantic.

Quote:
University of East Anglia bans mortarboard throwing

University students have been banned from throwing their mortarboards in the air due to health and safety concerns.

Some graduates at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich have been hurt by falling hats in recent years, student newspaper The Tab reported.

Students have been urged to mime the throwing action instead, and have hats added digitally to the photo after.

A university spokeswoman said injuries caused by falling mortarboards posed an "unacceptable risk".

"We want to ensure no student's graduation day is ruined by the potential for avoidable injury," she said.

"This has been agreed by our academic dress suppliers who often receive back damaged mortarboards, and our photographers."

The Tab reported third and fourth-year students had been sent instructions from a photography company telling them hats could be added to the photo digitally for £8.

Louisa Baldwin, the Law Society president at UEA, told the newspaper: "If I've paid £45 to hire a bit of cloth and card for the day I should be able to chuck my hat in the air!"

Another student, Alice Cachia, said: "This is health and safety gone mad."

The Health and Safety Executive said the chance of being injured by a flying mortar board is "incredibly small".

"When the concern is actually about the hats being returned in good condition, it's time to stop blaming health and safety," the organisation said.
BBC Link