View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #934
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc
Having it done at a medical facility would allow for lab culture of the sample to rule out C. diff, pathogenic enterococci, parasites, Giardia, etc. prior to the actual procedure. I wouldn't use an untested sample.
Can't be done at a medical facility anymore. After the procedure gained a little attention, the FDA made a quick ruling maybe 6-12 months ago that donor stool was "medicine" and therefore under a whole different set of rules. Effectively the only way the doctor can do it right now is if they use their own stool, and that opens them up to a whole different realm of liability. This isn't permanent, it's just a temporary stay while they figure out how they're going to regulate this thing, but for right now it's do-it-yourself, or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Do you know the donor? Perhaps it's you or a member of your family. The reason I ask is that I also recently heard of a way to scan the *ahem* contents of the sample. There's an outfit called the American Gut Project (you can't really make all this stuff up). For $99 they'll scan the sample and give you a report.
It is a member of my family, but by marriage only. I figured that anyone connected to my genes was suspect. Too much history of digestive disease on all sides of our families. Plus, she was born in a foreign country and ate a non-Western diet for the first part of her life, so her bacteria are in theory going to be much more varied and healthy. I appreciate the link greatly; so far the only places I knew to get the stool tested required a doctor's prescription, which would require my relative to become a patient of that doctor, and the doctor to be on board with what we were doing, etc. I will send a sample off to them, so at least I will know for sure if I can rule it out or keep hanging onto it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote