View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #30
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My wife knew how to change a tire, if all the tools were laid out for her in advance. ...
After that incident, she now knows how to do everything from start to finish.
Some 'discount' mechanics create so many problems as to even crank those tire lug nuts on too tight. Everything has a torque number (ie foot-pounds). Lug nuts are typically 80 foot-pounds (which can be confirmed for each car). Sometimes, after a vehicle inspection that requires removing wheels, I must go back with a torque wrench to break and properly torque each bolts. Otherwise a flat tire is almost impossible to replace.

Like the spark plug example, a neophyte mechanic must learn what the torque is. I rented a torque wrench periodically just to learn what 10 ft-#s and 80 ft-#s is suppose to be. One can even use a breaker bar and bathroom scale to learn the perspective. Reason why a spark plug almost took off UT's head? Someone before him failed to learn about proper torqueing.

Best to verify wheel lug nuts are properly torqued is long before the flat. Just another way to learn if your mechanic is good or bad.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote