View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

In another Reality is Unreal example, many pit bulls are (IMHO) safer, for humans, when they are from fighting lines. Dog fighters did not tolerate an animal that attacked their handlers, so although the dogs were dangerous around normal dogs they could be fairly confident that the human throats were off the menu. Now everybody is keeping pit bulls, usually with no verifiable background on the particular animal's heritage. A loose sleeve may trigger an attack 2 years down the road, or nothing may happen. The dog may kill the neighbor's beagle or wimp and run. It's a canine version of Russian roulette. Fighting lines mean humans are safer, other animals in increased danger. Crap backyard pit bulls mean humans in greater danger, other animals may or may not be. The consequences of guessing wrong - because it probably won't be the owner's face that is destroyed, but a kid's or neighbor's or luckless stranger's - are terrible. But I do think the photo is cute. We call them Bull Terriers in the states and there is also a Miniature Bull Terrier. Personally appealing to me (esp the mini's) for their hardiness, courage, and sense of playfulness, but probably not a breed I'd ever acquire.