View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #235
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks for the welcome, Bruce and DanaC.

As promised ………

The main picture shows the Horse and Jockey pub on Wendover Road, Aylesbury, my great grandfather Henry, who was the licensee, his daughter Hetty, a dog called Bob (honest) and a lad, so family legend has it, called ‘Lazy Lambourne‘. Hetty appears to be about three or four years old which dates the photo at 1895/6.

The original has a postcard backing which leads me to believe that it was an advertising medium and, since it has appeared in a couple of local books, other examples do exist.

The second photo shows the establishment as it now stands.The site of the pub is at a crossroads of sorts, although these days you would be hard pushed to describe it thus. I think it was in the seventies that the junction was ’improved’ by carving a new connecting length of road from Stoke Road to Walton Street. This marooned two pubs, several businesses and a number of houses on what is essentially a traffic island. It rejoices in the name of the 'Walton Gyratory System’ and it must be sheer hell living or working there.
Incidentally, the pub was renamed ‘The Aristocrat’ some years ago which I imagine was to avoid confusion with another pub of the same name situated on the Buckingham Road on the north side of the town.

Something there which I hope will complement SG's great thread.

All the best,

Carruthers
Attached Images

Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote