View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 03:26 PM   #10
mitheral
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
I'm not buying it. The area doesn't look burned (there's even a small unburned plant in front of the car). And there's no sign of soot or smoke on the car.
Well I'll chime in and say it's possible. Intense heat rather than an actual flame will cause some of the plastic to melt on a Fiero. I'm extraploting here because all my Endroflex knowledge is from Fieros.

The 84 Fiero was a metal space frame completely encased in plastic with the execption of about half a square metre of magnesium. You can't stick a magnet to one anywhere much to my amusement at towtruck driver's expense when I've had to have one of my projects towed (I'm restoring an '84 Indy 4 spd)

Enduroflex is a Pontiac advertising term for several non metallic body panels. Everything from a flexable thermoplastic used on bumpers to a metal impregnated pressure set fiberglass material used for rear trunk lids. Some of these plastics will flow like wax when exposed to high heat and only char when exposed to flame.

The fire was probably about where the photographer was standing and a little to the rear of the the car.
mitheral is offline   Reply With Quote