View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I don't have issues with SUVs, myself. I do have issues with people who buy gas-guzzlers and then complain about the price of gas. In the grand scheme of the middle class budget, as well as compared to the rest of the world, our gas prices are irrelevantly low. When people change their buying habits because of the price of gas--not bitch and moan about how they'll have to change soon, but actually change them--then gas prices will be relevant.

Gas costs what it costs. Paying too close attention to the day-to-day fluctuations is just going to give you high blood pressure. The price will forever continue to go up because of inflation, while the inflation-adjusted price will most likely cycle downward in another 4 or 5 years when our relationship with the mideast hits another stride. Meanwhile, alternative energies will continue to be refined, and even in the absence of innovation may eventually become more affordable by comparison if nothing else.

This guy may have a legitimate point, especially in regards to how small gas station owners get screwed by tiny margins while the oil suppliers get rich, but his protest had about as much effect as a car ribbon.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote