View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
That makes sense, until you start breaking it down a little.

First off, I very much doubt many employers would sit down and think: yes, I know that black man (or that woman, or that differently abled person etc etc) is better qualified, better able and better suited to this post, but I just don't like the cut of his jib, so I'll hire this guy instead: unsuited, less able, but look at that white skin and pale blue eyes.

Discrimination doesn't occur in spite of an awareness of the other person's fine qualities. It occurs because prejudice blinds to those qualities. A man with a low opinion of women doesn't look at the female candidate he's just interviewed and think: yes, you're perfect for the job, and have all the qualities I'm looking for, but I just don't want to employ a woman. He looks at her and sees someone unsuited, regardless of her actual qualities. He looks at her and sees his own image of woman plastered across her and that's what he is discriminating against.

A true conservative makes their decision irrespective of race, gender or creed, but based on who is best suited. Who is the right person for the job. That is in no way contradicted by the fact that for some people, a black man, or a married woman is inherently unsuitable. They may not recognise that as a part of their thinking, and are therefore not consciously taking race, gender, or creed into consideration.

Second, that isn't a 'conservative' stance, it's just common sense. It holds true for any sensible person wherever they are on the political spectrum.
we don't see people how they are. we see them how WE are.
-some guy from one of jinx's sig lines.