View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #88
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
well, the argument made by the NYT Opinion writer is that it is anti-feminist to say that women need that level of protection from awkward sexuality
That seems like a fair point of view. Of course, we could take the labels off this and stop caring whether it meets one person's criteria of feminism.

I think we agree there are two elements:
1) an empowered person being competent at defending their boundaries
2) an ethical person not putting others in a situation requiring them to do so

There is a central argument in my mind which states, if person #2 doesn't commit the initial offense, then person #1 would not be in the situation to require any kind of response.

It seems to me that it is wrong, gross, and piggish to gloss over person #2's actions and require person #1 to do anything at all to "fix" the situation that they didn't create. That's totally backwards. It makes more sense to simply address the problem--the behavior.

Doesn't a just society have standards of what is acceptable? Don't we judge people who don't meet them? Yes we do, and we should judge men who do this. That's how society works. If they are not "called out" for this, it means we don't care--we're okay with it.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote