View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #41
chrisinhouston
Professor

Just an update and thanks for the feedback so far.

I spoke with the service rep at the stealership last Wednesday (March 11) and authorized the repair. My financial broker's office person called me the next day and said a check for $2000 had been cut and should be in the mail to me. Because the account is an inherited beneficiary IRA from my late father they can't do direct deposit. Not sure why but that is the rule. I told my step son it would be Saturday at best before the car would be ready as the service rep said it was about 12 hours labor, thus the high cost.

Saturday came and went and Monday afternoon the rep called and said the car was ready, the total was $1768. My mail usually comes late in the day so I told him it would be a day or 2 before I could get the car picked up. My wife, who had just gotten paid on the 15th said she could cover the repair but I said I wanted to at least deposit the funds so we didn't get into a bind if there was a delay.

On Tuesday I texted my step son about the car and that I was still waiting for the check, He texted back something like "OK, we can work out the details on paying for it later" which made me wonder if he had had a change of heart and we might split the costs. Then my daughter in law called and was very cheery and asked if I was going to be able to pick up her daughter (age 8) who gets out on Wednesday's an hour before her older brother (age 10) who is responsible for their safe walk home and being alone until older siblings get home from middle school. This is what I do most Wednesdays. I like it as I get to help her with homework and play a bit. She also asked if I could pick up youngest grand daughter (age 6) who goes to day care after her day at kindergarten and is usually picked up by parents on the way home. Daughter in law said she and husband were going to the Houston Rodeo for the concert. The oldest (grandson who is 14) would be in charge and supervise dinner (something sounding horrible to me called Pizza Bites or a bowl of Raman); not my idea of a good dinner.

I said no problem as I will not let any of this interfere with my time with the kids. I explained to her about the car and that as of that time my mail had not come so still did not have the check and to let husband know. We hung up and she called me back and said she spoke with him and they would just stop and pick the car up and "we could work out the details later." "Fine", I said. No check in Tuesday's mail which seemed odd so I phoned my rep and told him and he agreed it was odd but to wait one more day.

Wednesday I took my mother in law to her Kidney Dr. as she has been having s lot of fluid retention in her feet. I was able to use my wife's car this time (as mentioned she can not get into my lifted Land Rover). Got home in time to inhale a late lunch and then head to the kids home where I played with the puppy who had been penned up and went and picked up kids and waited for older siblings to get home and then left to get my wife from work. We had to go by her mother's to go over the instructions for the 24 hour urine collection test the Dr. wanted her to do. Did you know you have to refrigerate that big jug of collected urine? I joked with her to not get confused and think it was her orange juice. Mom likes me because I joke with her like that.

Got home at 6pm and no check in the mail but a notice from the Edward Jones main office advising a check was cut on the 12th. So where the hell is my check and what do I do if I never get it?

Now it's Thursday early morning and I left a message at broker's office. Guess they will do a stop payment and issue another check.

So, car is picked up an not much else is certain yet. Stay tuned!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote